There are so many different and wonderful ways to celebrate the holidays. Everyone has their own traditions, all of which are unique and special in their own way. However, this is one thing that is common among many families during this time of year: Christmas baking! Not only is it a fun bonding experience, but it results in some delicious treats!
Since so many people love to create something tasty in the kitchen during the holidays, we thought we would share some festive recipes that everyone in the family will love. The best part? They can be used in the summer as well during Christmas in July! We selected five easy-to-make recipes that even the most inexperienced baker can perfect.
1) Rudolph Noses (via Kid Friendly Things To Do)
Bring everyone’s favourite reindeer to life with these chocolatey treats. They have the perfect mix of salty and sweet! The process to make these is fairly simple and takes little to no time at all.
- 6 ounces chocolate
- 1 16 ounce jar of Maraschino cherries
- mini pretzels
- Put the chocolate in a bowl and microwave for about 1 minute. Stir and put back in for 30 seconds or until melted. Stir until smooth.
- Set out wax paper on a flat surface.
- Place as many Maraschino cherries as needed on a paper towel to absorb any excess liquid.
- Place 1 pretzel in the melted chocolate. Use a fork to press it down to ensure it gets completely covered.
- Transfer the chocolate-covered pretzel to the wax paper.
- Immediately place a cherry on the bottom of the pretzel.
- Repeat steps 4-6 until all pretzels are finished.
- Place in fridge to allow chocolate to harden.
2) Watermelon Christmas Tree (via Eating Vibrantly)
This one may be more suitable for the summertime, but it’s still a great—and easy—recipe nonetheless! Unlike other Christmas treats, this one is a healthier alternative. However, it is still fun and will be sure to get you into the Christmas spirit!
- Cut ¼ of the watermelon into slices
- Cut a slice in half
- Slice the rind into third
- Trim the rind from the flesh at the sides
- Continue steps 2-4 until you have the desired amount
3) Pita Trees (via Betty Crocker)
These cute and yummy little trees make a great snack for a Christmas party! They are easy to serve and are a nice change of pace from the usual sweets found during the holidays.
- 4 pita folds or pita bread that are about 6 inches in diameter
- 16 pretzel sticks, halved
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup guacamole
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- Cut each pita into 8 triangular wedges. Insert the pretzel stick into the centre bottom of each wedge to make a tree trunk.
- In a small bowl, mix the sour cream guacamole, parsley and garlic. Spread about 1 teaspoon of the mixture on each pita
- Blot the bell peppers with a paper towel to remove any excess moisture. Sprinkle about a ¼ teaspoon on each wedge or arrange to form garland.
4) Holiday Blossoms (via Rice Krispies)
Everyone loves a Rice Krispies treat! They’re simple, classic and totally delicious. You can’t deny, either, that homemade Rice Krispies treats are the best kind! This festive recipe will make you feel like a kid again!
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 ½ cups mini marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups Rice Krispies holiday cereal (regular Rice Krispies cereal will work, too)
- 24 Hershey’s kisses in whatever kind of chocolate you prefer
- Grease 24 mini muffin cups and set aside
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Add marshmallows. Cook, stirring, for 8-10 minutes or until completely melted. Stir in vanilla. Remove from heat.
- Immediately stir in cereal until coated. Let cool slightly. Using your hands or a buttered spatula, press 2 tablespoons of the cereal mixture into the muffin cups. Press your thumb into the centre to form a slight well.
- Top with Hershey Kisses, pressing into the well. Let cool completely. Remove from cups and store in an airtight container.
5) Grinch Popcorn (via Two Sisters Crafting)
You can’t have Christmas without something Grinchy! This yummy snack is fun and so easy to prepare. People of all ages will surely love this tasty treat.
- 10 cups popped popcorn
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups mini marshmallows
- yellow and blue (or green) food colouring
- red M&MS
- Pop popcorn
- Salt if necessary and set aside
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan
- Add 2 cups mini marshmallows to the pan and stir until melted
- Turn off heat
- Add food colouring to the mixture
- Coat the popcorn with the mixture
- Pour into a prepared cookie sheet
- Drizzle the remaining mixture over the popcorn
- Add remaining mini marshmallows and M&Ms while the popcorn is still warm.
- Allow to cool before serving
Although the usual Christmas baked goods and treats are fantastic, it’s always nice to add something new into the fold. Nothing says you can’t have traditional recipes AND some new one, too.
Do you have any delicious Christmas recipes that you make each and every year? Tell us about them in the comments! Be sure to let us know if you try any of the above-mentioned recipes this holiday season or during Christmas in July. Remember to tag us in your photos on social media. For the original recipes, use the links above or check out our Pinterest. Happy Holidays!